Thursday, February 22, 2018

Recreating a Page...and Rotating a Filler Card

I don't know that there is anyone who really reads this, but it's a project that keeps me busy regardless.

I have now gone to my local FamilySearch center the last three weeks and scanned hundreds of paper scrapbook pages, resulting on thousands of individual images that I am SLOWLY working to re-scrapbook in the Project Life app.

Some may think it's a waste of my time to redo what has been done. Well, that's just it. It's MY time. And I want to spend it making scrapbook pages the way I want them.

I've said before that I wasn't fully satisfied with how the paper pages looked, and how incomplete they were because of the missing journaling that I would someday come back and add. Well, today is SOMEDAY, and I'm adding that journaling...and just happen to be tweaking the pages and making the digital at the same time.

Here's the latest example of a page I converted.



The original page wasn't half bad. I had picked a color scheme that matched the photos. I was even a little artsy in making a cardstock patchwork pattern out of different shades of blue to mimic the denim quilt in the pictures. And there's the title that I stamped with rubber stamps and then colored in with markers. And can we just talk about what a big fan I was of tilting the pictures as I glued them on the page? Oh, yeah, I was all about that.

But..... no journaling. What year did this happen? Who made the quilt?

So in my quest to digitize the page, I knew a couple of things. If possible I wanted to keep the stamped title of the page intact. I knew I wanted to keep the red and blue color scheme. I knew I wanted to add the journaling.

So for this page (and it doesn't always happen this way for me), I started looking for a template first. I knew I had two pictures that I'd want in big slots, and that my title would probably have to be split into three smaller, vertical oriented slots.

I ultimately decided on the Design S template. I could use the smaller vertical slots for the title, the other small slots for filler cards, and the bigger slots for my pictures and journaling.


From there it was just a matter of pulling in the various elements and adding the journaling.



Since I liked the red and blue theme, I picked the Americana card set for my filler cards. I probably spent more time "testing" cards in the slots than it took to make the page altogether....the paper way! I would pull in pattered card in the top slot, then add a second, different patterned card in the middle slot, and then back out and look at the page as a whole.  Nope. Didn't like how the two patterns clashed, or didn't like those colors next to each other.

Finally I decided I liked the idea of striped cards. The narrow blue stripes and the thicker multicolored stripes. But.... the narrow blue striped cards were horizontal and on the thicker striped card, the stripes were vertical.

I lucked out, though. This isn't the case with every filler card in the different PL app sets, but I could actually rotate the orientation of the thick striped card within the app. I don't know if you have ever tried rotating a filler card before, but here's how to do it (or see if it's even an option to do).



Pull in the filler card you want to use, into the slot you want. Then click on that card slot so that it is "selected" and it sort of zooms in on your phone screen. Here's you'll see the Add Photo or Add Card buttons you are used to seeing. But in the opposite corner, if the card is able to be rotated, there will be the Rotate button. Like I said, not all cards will have this option, and some cards that do have this option will, when rotated, shrink or stretch the card image slightly. You'll just have to play with it and see if you like it.

Some cards may look better if you rotate them 90 degrees (one tap of the Rotate button), or it may look better if the pattern/design on the card was upside-down (180 degree rotation, or two taps of the Rotate button). Play around with it. Post your pages on Instagram. Tag me @projectlifeappdude  in the photo or the comments! You guys are so kind to me in the comments of things I post on Instagram, and I'd like to return the favor! Plus as much as I hope my pages inspire your creativity, I get ideas for things other people post just as much!

Anyway, that's it for this go around of taking scrapbook pages digitial.

Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just be a lurker! Leave a comment!