Friday, February 2, 2018

Westley the Wizard...

So my three hours of scanning old paper scrapbook pages (which you can read about HERE) resulted in quite a few gems seeing the light of day for the first time in over a decade.

This was one of those pages.


Not a bad looking page. The colors coordinate, there’s some matting going on behind the photos, a little Deckle edge scissor action, and what I’m sure was time-intensive sticker lettering. But…what year was it? What was the occasion? Why the wizard outfit?  No journaling! Again! (I’m thinking that could been my theme song…anyone know a lyricist and a composer?)

The main thing I was glad of when I looked at this page was there were nice big pictures that I could easily import into card slots in the PL app. The tricky part would be for those pictures that overlapped each other a little bit. When you are trying to just zoom in on a photo, you only get either a square or a rectangle shape to work with, and photos that overlap each other can leave you with weird pieces on your finished page.

So I selected a template in the PL app that had matching orientations for the photos on my paper page.

Then I pulled the pictures in, and added the journaling that had been absent for 17+ years! But there was still that pesky overlapped photo bit that I didn’t really like.

It's so hard to find the "right" purple background! I must have looked at every card collection that had a shade of purple until I found this one that would work (Everyday Joy Themed Cards).


I’ve talked about how I sometimes use the LetterGlow app to add journaling on top of photos, and I knew that the free version of that app also has shapes you can add to your photos, so I decided to give that a try.

I exported a 12 x 12 image of the page from the PL app and saved in on my phone’s camera roll. Then I opened up the LetterGlow app and imported the page.

From there I selected the Add Graphics option, and selected Banners/Frames and scrolled through them until I found the one I wanted.


There are a few basic shapes that come free with the LetterGlow app.

I thought this banner looked "wizardy".
Then I positioned the banner over that little bit of the overlapping photos that I wanted to try and hide. Then I added some text to the banner graphic, and had my finished page!



So at this point I still had (in the PL) app the “finished page” without the banner. I exported an editable backup of this version and saved it in Dropbox. Then I took the “really finished” version, with the banner added, and exported that from LetterGlow as a 12 x 12 image and saved that along with the editable PL backup. If I ever wanted to make changes to the page, I can bring the editable version back in the PL app, but would have to go in and redo the banner I added in LetterGlow again. Make sense?

Anyway, I liked how it turned out in the digital version a LOT! What do you think? Feel free to disagree with me…I’ve got thick skin! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just be a lurker! Leave a comment!