Thursday, January 11, 2018

What It All Means For Me...

I'll admit, since that first Empire State Building page, scrapbooking using the Project Life app has definitely had a learning curve. As with any new software, there was a lot of trial and error. Did I like rounded corners or square? Which of these free fonts do I like best? Should I spend money and get more card sets? Make every page using the same couple of layouts and using the same font for consistency? To color the background or not to color the background?

I'll admit, some of my first pages, to look back at now, are just a little bit blah:

I must have been blind to think this needed a black background, and what's with all the competing patterns on the cards I chose? 
But I evolved. I bought more sets, fonts, and templates. I branched out. I planned my photos thinking about the kinds of pages I wanted to make. I started to frequent beckyhiggins.com and look at pages that others had created using the app.

When I saw that Becky Higgins was coming to Salt Lake City for a Pinner's Conference in and holding an app class, I signed up for it.

I went to the class, and though I had already been using the app exclusively, I got some pointers on how to do things more efficiently (hello, voice-to-text journaling for the win!) and I started to chip away at the thousands of photos I had stored on my computer. Not to mention the photos in boxes or binders that I could now scan, have on my computer, and pull into the app via Dropbox.

So.....I have a point, and I'm getting to it.....

I feel that I can stay "caught up" with the current happenings of my family with the Project Life app. I tend to take pictures "in the moment" and then make corresponding pages with them that night, or on the car ride home from the event (my wife prefers to drive, so I go ahead and let her!)

But...

What I really want to tackle this year, is going back and taking those old, paper scrapbook pages that weren't that great to begin with, and convert them into Project Life pages in the app.

I can hear your "Oh no, he di-int!" and "Who the heck has time for that?" comments from here! But guys here's the deal, and it's one of the things I've heard Becky Higgins say over and over.


"Do what works for you."

And this works for me. I don't like how the pages currently look. I don't like that there is little to no journaling. I don't like pictures stuffed in envelopes and never looked at. I don't like that those old pages are 8.5 X 11 and my current pages are 10 x 10, etc.

Will this project take me forever? Probably. But in the end I think I'll be happy the results, which is more than I can say now. 

So, if you choose to stick with me, I'll try and document what it is I'm doing, how I'm doing it, frustrations I run into, and celebrations I want to share. And a whole lot of before and after pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just be a lurker! Leave a comment!