Saturday, January 20, 2018

Finally Complete...It Only Took Me 18 Years!

Remember back in my first post where I talked about having paper scrapbook pages that were 80-90% finished except the journaling....and how I had actually taken the time to write (or type) out the journaling but hadn't taken the extra few minutes to actually glue it down on the page?

Here's a prime example right here:


It's soooo close to having been a completed page! I've got a million of pages like this people. That's part of the driving force behind why I'm trying to get things digital and made in the PL app--to have COMPLETE pages!

So here's how I went about finishing up this page once and for all. And better late than never seeing as how this kid in this picture is turning 20 this year! ;)

First, I scanned the page and saved it in Google Photos. For some reason, my scanner will scan individual parts of the page as separate images (I think it has to do with the white background and it thinking there are just pieces instead of a whole page image). So in Google Photos I actually have three images, one for each of the photos on the page. No big deal, those are the parts of the page I want to eventually pull into the app anyway.

So, I have three image to work with, and they are all vertically oriented, so I chose the Design X template, but cause I knew I wanted to feature the photos in a large slot, but also knew that I'd have a bit of journaling to write down, too.


I saved the three photos from Google Photos back onto my camera roll for easy access from the PL app, so I pulled those into three of the five large slots on the page.



I arranged the photos in a way that they show kind of a progression of the licorice-face mess. I wanted to also have a picture of some licorice to go with the page, but hadn't taken a photo of licorice back when this was all going down. 

So here's a little "cheat" I use sometimes. I go on a Google Image search. For those who haven't ever thought of this, you simply go to Google.com and then along the top of that main page, there should be a link for Images. Click that and anything you search for will come up with image results. So I did a search for "Red Vines licorice". Suddenly I have hundreds of images to choose from! The thing you have to be careful about is choosing a picture that is of good enough resolution so you can eventually print it without problems.

To solve this problem, when the search results come up, I look for a link towards the top of the page labeled Tools and click it. Then choose the Size option and click Large. This will limit the search results to just those with a large file size (and best resolution). Then I pick from those options and save the image I want to my camera roll.

But what about copyright? I figure that I'm not going to be making money off my pages, so I don't really worry about that. I'm not taking credit for being the photographer of the image or anything, I'm just using it for my own personal page. I don't lose any sleep over the pictures I "borrow" from Google Images.

Then I add that image to my remaining large card slot.


Now it's time for the journaling. I have a lot of blues and reds in my photos, and I remember that this all happened during the summer months, so I look through the Americana and Seasons Edition sets looking for red-white-blue cards. I like the options in the Seasons Edition the most, so from the 4x6 Journaling Card options, I pick a striped border card and add it to the remaining 4x6 slot, and add my journaling.



Then it's just the 3x4 slots to be filled. I look at the coordinating cards in the Seasons Edition set, and really like the one with the big star, so I add that to the bottom middle slot. But there isn't another filler card from that set that I like well enough to use in the last slot.  So I decide to just add the same star card in the last slot.....but with a twist....literally.



I pull the card into the slot, and then just rotate the image. Now, fair warning, not all filler cards will rotate in the PL app, it's all dependent on the size of slot the individual card was designed for. So have a back-up plan if the card you want won't rotate.

But luckily, this star card will rotate. So I tap the little rotate button and it rotates 90 degrees. I want it to be a mirror image of the other star card, so I rotate it another 90 degrees, and BAM! Another page done!  Well, except for deciding on if I like it with the blue, red, or white background the best! ;)




...and it only took me 18 years to finish! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just be a lurker! Leave a comment!