Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Overlays - Getting Around the Little White Lines

I've you've been creating Project Life pages in the last year or so, you've seen that some of the card kits have corresponding overlays--clear cards that go over a pocket and have either a black or white design that is meant to show over the top of a photo or a filler card.

They are super fun to use, and you can get a whole new look to your page when you use them.

But, if you try and use them over a blank color card, and combine that with the same color of a background for your page, you can see a thin white line around the edge of your pocket.

For example, I made this page today using the Big Shot 10 template....



...and added my photo in the big pocket. Then I added plain yellow cards from the new Gratitude Edition, and then added Gratitude Edition Photo Overlays over the top of them. Those confetti looking cards on the left and right, and even the "Count Your Blessings" artwork are overlays--colored and white designs placed over a plain yellow card.


Pretty nifty finished product, right? Well, it didn't start out that way. There was a little monkeying around with it first.

Here's what it actually looked like at first, after adding the overlays to the yellow cards:


(You may have to actually click on the above photo, so that it enlarges on your screen to see the little, thin white lines that are part of the overlay--all around the edge of that card slot.)

Normally this isn't an issue if you are just using an overlay over a photo or a filler card---unless, you also are using the same color background as you are for your plain cards.

It's a fairly easy fix, just takes a little extra work.
Here's how I fixed it.

First, I went into the Collage section of the app (the orange segment on the opening screen when you start the app). And I pulled up a blank card that matched the orientation of the card I wanted to use.
In this case, I chose the verticle 4x6 card option and put my plain yellow card from the Gratitude Edition in, and then added the Overlay over the top.


Then I exported that "page" and saved it to my phone camera roll. I did the same thing with the "Count Your Blessings" overlay over another blank yellow card, using the collage that had two, 3x4 card slots. I just made both card slots the same.


I exported this "page" to my camera roll as well. Then I went back to my full scrapbook page and in the large left and right pockets, I imported my collage as a photo from my camera roll. For the right-side card slot, I just rotated the confetti card so that I had a balanced look to the left card. And then I brought in the "Count Your Blessings" card as well.

At this point, all three of these cards I brought it still had that little, thin line. But since these cards were now "photos", I could slightly pinch and zoom on each of them just a teeny bit, so that they enlarged enough for the thin, white line to be cropped off. Now all three cards, with their yellow backgrounds, flowed seamlessly with the yellow background of the page.

So like I said, it takes a couple of extra steps, but can really make a visual difference to your pages, if you are going for that seamless look.

Try it out, see what you think, and let me know how it went in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just be a lurker! Leave a comment!